Thursday 31 January 2013

January 2013 Review

2013 has started well, with my net worth increasing by 1.7% in January.

My investment portfolio had a great month, growing by close to 4%.  All ETFs performed very well, with January being the strongest month for the portfolio to date.  There were no major new investments in the month (apart from a small monthly purchase of the HK index tracker).  Gold was broadly flat, despite some volatility during the month.

Likewise, my pension funds had their best month on record, with solid increases in unit values (over 5%) as equities continued to rally.

My property was occupied, with one minor maintenance cost making a small dent in the monthly rent received.

Cash balances fell with the payment of the majority of my 2012/13 income tax bill, (offset by a corresponding fall in my tax liability). That being said, i did need to bring forward some of the remaining tax accrual, and when combined with late Christmas costs with another unplanned expense, the net result was a lower than average savings rate for the month.

Overall, a good start to the new year.

2 comments:

  1. A nice start to the year.

    Taxes are a pain - even at HK rates they still bite.

    Cheers
    traineeinvestor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for your January too.

    I'm not sure if i prefer receiving a salary net of tax or gross. Net would certainly result in a few less rows & formulas in my spreadsheets. I do quite like the novelty of paying a tax bill with a credit card, although its a shame it doesn't earn points on the card!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete