Wednesday 6 February 2013

Tenancy renewal

Today I received the welcome news that my current tenant would like to continue renting my property for another year.

I agreed to maintain the rent at the current level, given the market is fairly flat and the rent is already a good level for the area.  The current tenant has been very reliable with no issues arising in the last year.

I'm a strong believer in the value of retaining reliable & trustworthy tenants, and will happily choose to sacrifice a rental increase to keep a good tenant and avoid periods of vacancy & the inherent risks in finding someone new.  Of course I would pursue a rent increase if the market rate had clearly increased.

I always think that just 1 week of vacancy equates to around 2% of annual rent, so i'm probably likely to make a higher return in having zero vacancy when the market is fairly flat.



 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely the right approach - I do the same thing. Not only do you avoid the vacancy, but you reduce the number of times you have to do minor repainting and repair work between tenants.

    Cheers
    traineeinvestor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i've been quite fortunate so far with my experiences as a landlord, although i appreciate it won't always be this way. I'd certainly consider another buy to let investment in the years ahead if the numbers make sense.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete