Saturday 29 August 2015

Market volatility

After a fairly soft June & July in the markets, August has been pretty awful.  Concerns have shifted from Greece to China and emerging markets in general,  with significant falls in currencies (verses the us dollar) and equities.

Whilst it is pretty depressing to see my investment portfolio and pension funds fall in value, i'm trying to see the positive side of recent events.  My investment strategy continues to be buy & hold well diversified ETFs with a focus on yield.  I have no intention so sell anything and as such should not realise any actual losses.  If anything, i'm viewing the falling markets as an opportunity to add to the portfolio whilst prices are low.

In recent months i've been adding to emerging markets and asian focused ETFs, which have been the hardest hit.  Whilst it is tempting to keep on buying these at low prices, i'm instead focusing my attention at the moment more on the UK, US & Europe equities, which have also been dragged lower by the general concerns about China and the global economy, but in my opinion remain fairly healthy.

The main thing holding me back from some more significant additions to the investment portfolio is a lack of cashflow.  After recently completing a property purchase my cash reserves are relatively low and much is tied up in longer tenor time deposits to boost yield.  This is forcing me to take a slow and steady approach to investing, which is not a bad thing with such volatility and uncertainty in the markets.


No comments:

Post a Comment