Sunday 18 November 2012

Expenses: Initial review

For the first time in many years, i've trawled through my bank statements and done a simple review of my monthly expenses for the past 3 months.

Whilst it is too short a time period to draw too many conclusions (i couldn't be bothered going back further but will update each month going forward), it did highlight a few key points:

- Overall, total spending was broadly in line with what i had been accruing in my forecasts;
- Bills were as expected, a little higher over summer but should be lower over winter now the air-con is off;
- I'm probably spending too much on food & drink. I'll keep an eye on this going forward but its more of a concern for fitness & health at this stage!
- I'm not spending much on myself, in terms of entertainment, clothes, luxuries etc. This is probably a sign that i'm not getting the work/life balance right at the moment, and certainly not making the most of my time outside work.

Overall, i found this a useful exercise and will keep it going. Whilst i haven't gone down to the full granular details (i've made no attempt to break down cash from ATM for instance, focusing only on larger & individually identifiable items), it has given me a basis to better plan and monitor spending going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment